Sunday, November 23, 2014

11/23/14

1. I would like to share an incident that occurred at church this morning. This whole conversation occurred in a whisper during the liturgy. 

Helena: Mina! Look, there is a spider on my purse on the floor!
Me: Cool! What a cute spider!
Helena: You have to kill it!
Me: We are in church, I can't kill in the house of God. 
Helena: But it's gonna kill us, we are all gonna die. 

She give me her look of death

Me: The Priest is praying over the communion right now, I can't kill. He is an innocent creature, completely harmless. 
Helena: There are children in this church!

Silence for 10 minutes 

Helena: the spider came back and just walked across my toes! 
Me: and you didn't die! Can you imagine?

Silence and a reemergence of the death glare. 

Would you kill a spider in church? 


2. After church Helena and I stopped by this place in Culver City called Chocovivo. It makes it's own chocolate from beans it buys from a grower in Mexico and makes incredible dark hot chocolate. On the counter there is a bowl of little brown pepple like things that is labeled "chocolate nibs - try them"

Helena: What is that? (Pointing to the chocolate nibs) 
Chocolate Lady: They are called chocolate nibs, they are bits of chocolate before it is processed. It kind of has a nutty flavor. 
Helena: So they are nuts? 
Chocolate Lady: I said they have a nutty flavor. 
Helena: So what kind of nuts are they? 
Chocolate Lady: They are chocolate, but kind of taste nutty. 
Helena: So they are chocolate covered nuts?
Chocolate Lady: *sigh*
Me: (interrupting in an attempt to end the madness) Thank you so much for telling us about them, they look delicious. 


3. When I was walking our dog this morning we met a dog whose name is "Sugarbear". Sugarbear! Isn't that the cutest name for a dog you have ever heard!? If our dog wasn't 11 years old I would change his name to Sugarbear in a heartbeat! Although apparently there are 2 dogs with that glorious name in the neighborhood. Maybe "Sugarpuppy"?

4. One of my favorite verses ever was in the passage I read for my quiet time this morning. 

"Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these." -Luke 12:27

5. Today we celebrated my Aunt's and dad's birthdays. It was a joyous time filled mostly with making fun of one another and a lively discussion of how to tell Middle Eastern people from different countries apart just by looking at them (bottom line if they are short and overweight they are probably Egyptian)




No comments:

Post a Comment